Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Selective Dying

Last semester in Marianne Fairbanks's Evolutionary Fibers course we did a number of different techniques to design and/or enhance our natural dye samples. We were working with natural dyes but already in powder form that was purchased from a company that is slips my mind at the moment. Some of the techniques we used were tying and bunching the fabric to a bottle, tying, gathering and stitching the fabric together very tightly. We also used bee's wax to shield part of the fabric from the dye, while exposing others. You can scratch away the wax, partially dip it, crinkle or fold it. I have some photos of that process I can post. I can also see if I can figure out how to post some of her hand outs on the portal so you all can get a better idea on how each technique works.  

No comments:

Post a Comment