Wednesday, July 1, 2009



I was having trouble getting the color orange from natural items, so my teacher suggested I try Annatto. It is a spice that is grown in very warm regions. I found it being sold at Mexican grocery store. The package was 15 oz., so for ever ounce i added a cup of water. Then I divided the bath up into 6 equal parts, adding a different mordant to each. Like the black pepper, annatto was not going to respond to Aluminum and Iron mordants but I still tried them. But it was great to see the rejection of the mordant in the bath, the copper was sitting on top of the bath, it is green. The 6 baths included Aluminum, Copper, Iron, Vinegar, Salt, and Annatto solo. I left them to sit over night. All 6 samples turned out a yellow color, and i was not able to get orange at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment