Tuesday, July 6, 2010

pH Changes in the Dye Bath















This is where I spent the majority of my time. I was completely amazed at the range of color that was produced from simply shifting the pH level of the dye bath to more acidic or alkali.

The Dyes Tested:
Pomegranate
Madder
Osage Orange
Annoto
Brazil Wood
Log Wood
Cutch
Myrobalan
Tannin

pH Shifters Used:
Lemon Juice (pH 3)
Cream of Tarter (pH 3-4)
Baking Soda (pH 8)
Soda Ash (pH 11)
Lye (pH 12-14)

I tested different combination from the listed above on three different fibers.
Bamboo Fleece (Cellulose)
Organic Cotton (Cellulose)
Silk (Protein)

I wanted to see the different affects each combination would have on the different fibers. I also wanted to see how far I could push the protein fibers on the pH scale before they would fall apart. They held up okay till the lye. I did this one with gloves, goggles, and under a fume hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment